General Terms & Conditions
These Terms and Conditions set out the basis on which Borve Lodge Estate and you (the ‘Passenger’), agree to conduct all business. These Terms and Conditions apply to all bookings and to all individual Passengers. In placing a booking, you are deemed to have accepted of our Terms and Conditions as detailed below. The Terms and Conditions are binding from the point of making the booking.
- Borve Lodge Estate endeavours to treat all Passengers in a courteous, friendly manner and to answer any questions and queries before, during or after the crossing.
- All reasonable steps will be taken to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers throughout the duration of the crossing. Passengers will be required to adhere to any COVID measures which are in place throughout the trip. The boat is uncovered so Passengers should have adequate waterproof clothing with them as there may be spray from the sea during the crossing.
- For all sailings, all decisions regarding the running of the vessel and the safety of Passengers are taken by the vessel skipper. The skipper’s decision is final in all matters. The skipper will give full consideration to all aspects of the sailing and make any decisions as to the suitability of the weather and prevailing wind and sea conditions, to enable any sailing to go ahead safely. The skipper will also have the authority to assess the Passengers suitability for the sailing, including embarking and disembarking from the boat.
- Safety is our first priority whilst at sea. All Passengers are required to wear a life jacket at all times whilst on the vessel. Life jackets will be issued to each passenger including children. Passengers must conduct themselves in a manner which does not endanger themselves or others and must always follow the instruction of the skipper and crew. A full safety briefing will be given before the crossing.
- All Passengers undertake the crossing and their time spent on Taransay entirely at their own risk. Borve Lodge Estate cannot be held responsible for any injuries, illness, loss of property, theft or damage occurring either during the sailing, whilst on Taransay or when travelling to or from the sailing departure point.
- Due to the ecological fragility of Taransay, Passengers are reminded that pets are not permitted on the sailing. Visitors must leave the islands as they find them, taking nothing away and leaving nothing behind. All refuse, e.g plastic bottles, food wrappers etc. must be carried with passengers on the return sailing. Fires are not permitted on the island. Metal detectors are not to be used on the island.
- Borve Lodge Estate can advise on locations for seeing wildlife but cannot give any guarantee on seeing any particular species on any day.
- Departure times to and from Taransay are as stated on your booking. However, these timings are approximate and can change slightly depending on the daily tides etc or for other reasons beyond our control. Borve Lodge Estate cannot be held responsible for any additional costs incurred or inconvenience caused due to timings not running as stated.
- The skipper will advise you of your scheduled return time and you should ensure you are on the beach 30 minutes prior to this time. If you are not on the beach for your sailing and we need to make another crossing to pick you up, you will be charged for any additional costs we incur including the extra cost of fuel and crew. We recommend visitors download WhatThreeWords to help us with locating anyone if lost on the island.
- All sailings to Taransay with Borve Lodge Estate are subject to suitable weather conditions in order for it to be safe, and as such, some trips may have to be cancelled at short notice. Borve Lodge Estate will endeavour to notify Passengers of any cancellations as soon as possible before the booked sailing date/time, using the contact number or email supplied. It is the Passengers responsibility to check the website the evening before the sailing, to ensure it is going ahead as scheduled. Passengers will also be required to join our WhatsApp group for updates – details will be provided with your booking confirmation.
- We recommend visitors download WhatThreeWords app to help us with locating anyone if lost on the island.
- Passengers must carry with them the mobile telephone for which the number has been provided on their booking. This should be fully charged prior to departure as there are no charging facilities on the island.
Trip Cancellation by Borve Lodge Estate
- The crew will monitor the weather conditions in the 24 hours prior to sailing, however, the weather conditions cannot be guaranteed to be favourable to permit a sailing to go ahead on its scheduled day/time. In the event of a trip being cancelled due to weather conditions or other factors beyond our reasonable control, we will notify Passengers and any payments made will be refunded in full within 10 business days. Borve Lodge Estate cannot be held responsible for costs incurred for a cancelled trip.
- In the unlikely event that Passenger numbers are not sufficient to operate the sailing, Borve Lodge Estate reserves the right to cancel the trip and will not be liable for any loss incurred by the customer. In this instance, any payments made will be refunded in full within 10 business days. Passengers will be required to rebook on another available trip as bookings cannot be transferred unless agreed by the skipper.
Passenger Cancellation and Refund
- If a booking is cancelled by a Passenger within a 48 hour period of their booked trip, a Passenger fails to arrive for a booked sailing, or their booked trip is missed in any way, payments are non-refundable and passengers shall be liable for the payment in full, unless the seat(s) on the sailing are resold.
- Borve Lodge Estate recommends that all Passengers take out travel insurance to cover any losses that they may incur.